Dark Astoria was my awakening. Just another thrillseeking spoiled rich kid with a bunch of friends seeking another rush. I didn't plan it, but I didn't object to it when we got there.
..But it wasn’t “just another rush.”
The apparitions were real people taken before their time. The cries and screaming came from people about to join them. My... friends... it was all still a game to them... they wanted to SEE a ritual sacrifice, maybe shoot a zombie or two, but me... I kept hearing the voices and... something else on the wind.
Something older.
I wanted to help. I wanted THEM to help. They wouldn't. They said I should let it go. I couldn't. I screamed for them to do something- they didn't.
The spirits did.
A dull murmur answered in an ancient language I shouldn’t have understood. “By your will, Adrastia.” The earth erupted and gale-force winds forced the attackers back. I grabbed the victim and ran.
Adrastia, the call me- the inescapable.
I first thought the name was a lamentation- that they were somehow trapped into my service-- that I'd imprisoned them. I'm starting to learn that they've lived centuries imprisoned- locked into the will on one mystic or another. They've been used for evil for too long.
They are bound to me, but with me they see a path to redemption. With their help, I hope to find that path, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment